According to a news report in 2016, there was an estimate of two million asthmatic patients in Malaysia.
The World Health Organization (WHO) cited in 2017, some 235 million people suffer from asthma worldwide, most commonly among children.
Here are 10 facts about the disease:
1. Asthma is one of the major noncommunicable diseases. It is a chronic disease of the air passages of the lungs which inflames and narrows them.
2.Most asthma-related deaths occur in low- and lower-middle income countries.
3. Most deaths occur in older adults.
4. The strongest risk factors for developing asthma are inhaled substances and particles that may provoke allergic reactions or irritate the airways.
5. Medication can control asthma. Avoiding asthma triggers which include tobacco smoke, chemical irritants, cold air, indoor and outdoor allergens, air pollution as well as extreme emotional arousal such as fear and anger, can also reduce the severity of asthma.
6. Appropriate management of asthma can enable people to enjoy a good quality of life.
7.Asthma is under-diagnosed and under-treated. It creates substantial burden to individuals and families and often restricts individuals’ activities for a lifetime.
8.Urbanisation has been associated with an increase in asthma.
9. According to the latest WHO estimates, released in December 2016, there were 383 000 deaths due to asthma in 2015.
10. Certain medications can trigger asthma: aspirin and other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, and beta-blockers (which are used to treat high blood pressure, heart conditions and migraine).
By Ainul Huda Mohamed Saaid
KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama) -- For people suffering from chronic pain, even simple daily activities like taking a shower and getting dressed can be a torture. Anger, anxiety and even depression may ensue as a result of chronic pain, in view of the limitations they face and the debilitating nature of their condition.
In an exclusive interview with Bernama recently, experts from UM Specialist Centre (UMSC) shed light on pain management, a significant branch in medicine that utilises an interdisciplinary approach in easing the suffering and improving the quality of life of those living with pain.
Neurosurgery expert Dr Nor Faizal Ahmad Bahuri describes pain as an unpleasant sensation that can be felt whenever there is a tissue injury.read more ››
UMSC: Pain Management